eBay Line 6 Auction Watch   Official ION Variax 3.0 Coffee Mug   Red Iron Amps - Buffer2   The Musicians Place To Shop      
  THE LINE 6 USER GROUP DISCUSSION FORUM - Flextone II memory saving problem - HELP!
THE LINE 6 USER GROUP DISCUSSION FORUM
THE LINE 6 USER GROUP DISCUSSION FORUM
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All Things Line 6
 All Things Flextone...
 Flextone II memory saving problem - HELP!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

saltwater
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  21:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am wondering if anyone else out there has/or has ever heard of a Line 6 that: allows you to make user mods, and store them in the memory, as long as the amp is on, but then as soon as you turn it off, it deletes what you've saved and defaults back to the original channel settings??? I've gone over all of the basics in the manual making sure I was saving them correctly. I even had a guitar tech at a store look at it to make sure I wasn't missing something in the easy-to-read manual it came with, but Line 6 has made it pretty simple to SAVE and store a sound, that I just can't figure out what is wrong.

I contacted an authorized Line 6 repair shop to ask if they've ever heard of some sort of memory module installed in these amps that have gone bad, but they have not, nor has anyone ever posted ANYTHING regarding this on the internet ANYWHERE that I can find. Line 6 themselves have not given me a response on this either, and it's been over 6 months with many contact attempts.
ANY THOUGHTS!????? ANYONE?

davec_ias
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  16:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got another Flextone II HD on ebay (to replace an old one with power problems) and it has this *exact* same problem. I will let you know if I find anything out. Please also let me know (davec_ias@hotmail.com) if you find anything!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

davec_ias
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  16:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this on the web, but it doesn't seem like good news...

http://line6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001433

Dave
Go to Top of Page

AZ
Member with too much time available

USA
5377 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  16:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first guess would be the battery too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ION Productions: http://www.myspace.com/instituteofnoise
Go to Top of Page

davec_ias
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  16:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the battery user serviceable? Or does it require paid repairs at a service center?

Is there any instructions anywhere on how to open the amp or diagrams of the internals or anything?
Go to Top of Page

AZ

USA
5377 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  17:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might try looking on the LIne 6 FAQTRAQ support section for that answer. I'd be surprised if it hasn't been addressed.

Go to Top of Page

saltwater
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  19:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been on the Line 6 FAQTRAQ many times trying to hit the right phrase to find any info on the subject. It appears that everyone calls it something different, so my searches have been very unsuccessful. I called them a patch too, and NOWHERE in my Line 6 owners manual does it use that word, so even searching on the web has been limited. I have opened up my amp and looked at the internals, but did not see a battery of sorts, or anything that looked like it could have been.
I did get a response from a local Line 6 authorized repair shop that said they got a repair manual from Line 6 on how to do work on the amps. It does list a memory module/battery replacement, but they have never done one yet, nor do they know where it might be inside. I am still determined to find an answer, but hopefully I will be able to fix it myself since we have a show every few weeks and I cannot be without the amp.
Go to Top of Page

saltwater
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  19:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If in fact it is a battery, I would also love to know if you can purchase this part to do the repairs yourself.
Go to Top of Page

AZ

USA
5377 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  20:35:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd open up a FAQTRAQ ticket item and let the support folks walk thru the issue and see if that's really it. Don't email directly! Open the ticket and let them respond. They are pretty good about doing it fairly quick.

Go to Top of Page

davec_ias
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  07:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I opened a ticket at line6.com. I'll let you know what they suggest. There's nothing regarding the issue in the faq tracker.
Go to Top of Page

saltwater
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  09:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually also opened one at Line 6, about a year ago, and they never responded, that is why I am on the web now again trying to find info. I did another one about 3 weeks ago, but had no response either. I did however find a couple of google listings the other night deep in a search that stated the internal battery had failed on a couple of amps this band owned, and that they brought them into an authorized repair shop to have them fixed and it was fairly simple & quick... BUT Line 6 did not cover it under their warranty and it was about $90 to fix, mostly labor. I'd even be willing to do that at this point, just to get the item fixed. I am going to check with a couple of other local shops in my area that I found and see what they say. I'll let you know.
Go to Top of Page

StratBoy56
Starting Member

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  17:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even before I read the first response to your post I figured that the battery had died. BUT - the battery should (again, SHOULD) last much longer than the oldest Flextone II, so it may not be the battery (but it sure sounds like it is).

I'm pretty sure that, as with the Vetta, the Flextones (all 3 generations) have batteries that are soldered directly to the main circuit board (the Vetta uses a 3V CR2430 "coin" type of battery). If this is the case with the Flextone too, you should attempt to replace the battery on your own only if you are fairly well-skilled and experienced with a soldering iron (otherwise, you could very easily end up damaging the components and/or solder junctions near the battery, or even damage the circuit board itself).

BTW - if it is the battery, when you have it replaced have a battery clip installed to hold the battery instead of soldering the battery directly to the circuit board.

And Line 6, if you're listening - c'mon, you could have designed this correctly in the first place! Causing this kind of expense and aggravation to your customers by designing out a battery clip to save, what, 50 cents a unit is ridiculous! And I say this as a loyal customer who has purchased all 3 generations of Flextone amp as well as a Vetta amp. <Grumble mode off>

Best wishes (and luck)!

Edited by - StratBoy56 on 02/24/2006 17:27:12
Go to Top of Page

davec_ias
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  14:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Thanks for the info. Actually, it appears there is a battery clip *and* soldering! The battery clip doesn't look tight enough that it would hold if the amp were dropped, so that's probably why they soldered as well. Anyway, Line6 has yet to reply after a week. Here's a transcript of my questions to them:

Customer (dave chisholm) 02/27/2006 01:57 PM
Hi,

When performing self test (hold tap for 3 sec while power on) the unit fails the Battery Backed Ram test (LED D does not light).

I removed the housing and cover from chassis and located the 3v litium battery on main board. When measured with Voltmeter, battery is providing only 0.9 V. Combined with the other symptoms (presets lost on power down) this would suggest a defective or spent battery may be the problem. I have a few questions:

1 - How does one remove the battery? It does not appear to be held in place solely by the pressure clips as it can't be slid out of place by hand; was it soldered or mounted with adhesive or something? I would like to replace the battery and see if that fixes the problem.

2 - What's the expected lifetime of a 3V lithium battery in this application? Are dead batteries common after some period of usage or is it more likely that there was some problem on the board that caused extra current draw, depleting the battery quicker that normal? If I place a new battery in the circuit, can you tell me what the expected draw on the battery when powered off is, so that I can measure that to see if my unit is drawing more current than normal?

Dave

Customer (dave chisholm) 02/27/2006 12:06 PM
Hello, I recieved a notice saying I would have a response in 48 hours. However, I still have not recieved any information

Customer (dave chisholm) 02/21/2006 07:54 AM
Hi,

My flextone ii hd will not save user settings once it is shut off. I can edit and save settings while the amp is on, and switch between them, but once I shut off the amp, the settings all revert to factory presets when I turn it back on. I've tried using both sound diver, and making the changes by hand. The amp also loses the "closed back/open back" setting once it's powered down (this is the setting which can be changed by holding the "save" button while powering up).

(I recently submitted a different question about overheating - that is unrelated. This is a different head.)

thanks,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

davec_ias
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  19:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never mind that bit about a clip and soldering - at first glance it looked that the clips had some pressure to hold a battery in place but when I looked closer it there was no pressure clip, just two metal leads directly attached to the battery by what appeared to be soldering.

Bad news - I had a very hard time getting the two leads off the battery. I managed to get one off with the soldering iron and a thin razor blade, but actually snapped the lead for the negative terminal off while trying to detach the battery. They are pretty flimsy and I wasn't comfortable using high heat that close to the battery since they can be flammable... The solder did not seem to heat very easily and I didn't want to hold the heat up near the battery for an extended period of time. I'm not a soldering whiz but I've done plenty of it in my life. Oh well.

Good news - once I removed the battery, I jury rigged a new battery in place with what was left of the metal leads and the unit now passes the self test for battery backed ram. So it's quite likely that simple of a problem. I'm waiting for a proper battery clip from Jameco.com (Radio shack had the battery but not the clip); once that gets in, I'll install it on the board and hopefully the problem will be fixed.

Stratboy - your guess was right, battery clips ordered in bulk at Jameco are $0.47. The Flextone II actually uses battery CR2032. Seems like some pretty bad cost saving to me, but then again my company just omitted a battery backup entirely in favor of a super cap on one of our products to save a few bucks so who am I to talk...

Saltwater - if this works I'll post some more details on locating the battery, etc.
Go to Top of Page

saltwater
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  19:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds great! Thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page

StratBoy56
Starting Member

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2006 :  13:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
davec_ias - glad to hear it worked out!

And, to anyone else that's going to try this (even those experienced with soldering irons) - make sure to wear protective eyewear! Those batteries can explode if overheated.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE LINE 6 USER GROUP DISCUSSION FORUM © 1999-2014 The Institute Of Noise Go To Top Of Page
You wasted 0.17 seconds generating this page. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03
Riff Box - Intelligent Looping Technology   Order the Bad Dog U CD now!   Order the Comber CD now!   Vetta Toolkit Upgrade

This Ticker is NOT an Ad, it's real-time Amber Alert for abducted children. Please take a moment and check for alerts.